Tuesday, July 25, 2006

New comics 7/12/06 and 7/19/06

Yeah, I know, another two-weeks-at-a-time thing. Last week was a killer, though -- the Best Wife Ever went to a (practically) week-long conference in Dallas and I had to make sure the house was in as good or better condition than when she left it. So far, so good. Also, we've got another couple of hectic weekends ahead, so between keeping an eye on San Diego over the weekend, I've been working on making sure the next couple of Grumpy Old Fans get done.

Since you've probably read most of these already, I'll try to be brief.

THE VERY GOOD

52 #10, for Clark's shenanigans and Lois' reaction.

She-Hulk #9, for the priceless dinner with Jen's future in-laws.

Hero Squared #2. This really needs to be a sitcom. If "My Name Is Earl" can be a comic, this can be a sitcom. And a comic too, of course.

Firestorm, The Nuclear Man #27. I wish I knew more creative ways to say "good, solid superhero stories" every month, because that's the only bad thing about reading this book.

Superman #654. The only bad thing about this book is Lois' hair, and that's because it makes her look like Luthor's ex The Contessa. If this is what the Busiek run is going to deliver every month, for goodness' sake, DC, don't let him go!

Green Lantern #12. It might be the one book I think Geoff Johns gets consistently right, but just like with Busiek, whatever he's on when he writes it does the trick. I'm also a lot fonder of Ivan Reis than I was of Ethan van Sciver, and that's not really a slight on the latter.

And finally, Justice League of America #0, about which I have already gushed.

THE PRETTY GOOD

52 #11. Would have been better if the DC hype factory hadn't spoiled Batwoman's secret identity a couple of months ago.

The (All-New) Atom #1. A fine introduction to the new guy, and more fun than his Brave New World teaser.

Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis #43. Pieces are put together and old Aqua-characters come back as the other new guy finally decides to be Aquaman. It took Busiek a little longer to find his groove with this title, but I think it's all starting to click.

Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes #20. Come for the rampaging giants, stay for Brainy's creepy Dream Girl fixation. I want to like this book more, but every month I feel like there's more going on than I can keep up with. Paperbacks, I know; or maybe I could just find time to actually read the floppies some weekend.

THE ONE THING WAS COOL...

Green Lantern Corps #2. Less murky art would help this book. That sounds like I should get the Dave Gibbons-drawn issue in a couple months, doesn't it? Anyway, I can't tell which Alien Of The Week is which, but I did like the Giant Guy Construct.

Star Wars: Rebellion #4. The cliffhanger ending was cool. I can't say much more.

JLA Classified #24. Nice spotlight on old-school Aquaman, and it is kind of fun to see Amos Fortune comfortable enough with his tub-of-goo body to squeeze it into white spandex.

THE REST

Superman/Batman #28. The new team of Mark Verheiden and Ethan van Sciver start their run with a story about J'Onn J'Onzz going nuts on Batman. Good concept, decent mystery, and no dueling narration, but somehow it just feels kind of stiff.

The Flash: Fastest Man Alive #2. I know, every dork with an Internet connection thinks he can write comics, but this Flash storyline is so predictable it's sad. We know Griff the Annoying Roommate will be Bart's newest supervillain. We know Bart will overcome his Speed Force trauma and his reluctant-hero stance. We know he'll get together with the cute STAR Labs techie.

Why didn't this book play around a little more with the mystery of who could be in the Flash suit? Why spend two issues convincing Bart to get back in harness when the two issues have been screaming he's going to? This book could have started out with a mysterious Flash speeding through town saving people, solving crimes, etc., while leaving clues that it could be Bart, Wally, Walter West, one of Wally's kids, Griff, or even Valerie. It would be a real mystery, because a Flash could effectively be in two places at once. We'd have gotten more Flash-action and less angst to boot, and the book could even have kept the shifting-narrator flashbacks. In fact, that could have been the "reveal" -- when the narration started syncing up with the Flash's exploits. I almost think this book is being deliberately obtuse, and still has a few surprises in it. I'm fairly sure that gives all involved too much credit, but you never know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like those categories, hehe. Far too many times have I kept a book because "that one thing in that one issue was so cool!"