Friday, October 01, 2004

One more thing about COIE

In the summer of 1985, my parents packed me, my sister, and Grandma into the Plymouth Voyager and headed off to the North Carolina shore for a week's worth of vacation. Of course, I took a stack of comics, including Who's Who, New Teen Titans, and Crisis on Infinite Earths. On the way, we listened to the radio -- because that Saturday while we were on the road, people in Philadelphia, London, and watching and listening around the world, were rocking out to Live Aid.

One of my clearest memories from that trip is relaxing as the minivan cruised through the early-morning fog, reading Who's Who while the two-hit-wonder band The Hooters opened up the Philadelphia concert. By the time Sting was on, I was into the All-Star Squadrons.

Therefore, reworking Crisis so that it takes place in 1999, with its resultant soundtrack of Matchbox 20 and "Mambo No. 5," makes another part of my teenage years die a little....

No comments: