Sunday, July 29, 2007

This Outpouring Of Love Does Not Include The Atlanta Airport

Last night I flew out of San Diego at 9:15 Pacific and landed in Atlanta just before 5:00 this morning Eastern. I slept a little on the plane.

Actually, the nighttime scenery was beautiful. I was on the starboard side of the plane, so the full moon was shining in my window. It reflected off the Pacific as we made our turn back east, and as we flew over the southwest, it was a nice contrast to the sparse lights of the little towns. I almost wanted to stay up just to watch the moonlit U.S. roll by.

Then there was Atlanta, which keeps you awake with constant announcements, bitter-cold air conditioning, and (best of all!) the perpetual torture of Airport CNN. I will say this: at least it wasn't Airport FOX News. Even so, think, Atlanta-airport people: is there no "night mode?" Who gets to "enjoy" Airport CNN from 5 a.m. to 8 a.m. -- the overnight skeleton crew? Certainly not us hapless passengers, whose sleep cycles are shot full of holes anyway. Oh sure, there's the Delta Connections quiet-time area, but those chairs are barely comfortable and even it gets traffic from a couple of gates. An actual lounge with couches, perhaps only accessible via boarding pass, would be appreciated a lot more.

Anyway, I had a great! time at Comic-Con. It was tiring, and oh my Lord all the people, but it was worth it. John and Michelle Parkin, Carla Hewitt, and Graeme and Kate McMillan were excellent con-mates. I met a lot of people I'd only communicated with online, and to a person they were exceptionally friendly.

Of course, I couldn't help but have fun with Bully and his best friend John. I'm up for the Silver St. Cloud-Gwen Stacy face-off if you guys are!

Here's Bully on Thursday, in his command-gold uniform:



I also had lots of fun meeting and/or talking with (deep breath) Matt Brady, Larry Young, Adam Beechen, Dean Trippe, Gail Simone, Nicola Scott, Alex Segura, Dwayne McDuffie, Bob Wayne, Dan DiDio, Matt Maxwell, Tom Spurgeon, Douglas Wolk, Heidi MacDonald, Tom McLean, Tim Leong, Lauren Faust, Craig McCracken, Jason Rodriguez, Stuart Moore, Ryan Larder ... I'm sure I'm forgetting people, but at this point I'm just a little fried. Many of those I hadn't even "met" over the Internet, but they were gracious nonetheless.

I got a lot of cool books, most of which I plan to mention on this site or in Grumpy Old Fan in the near future. I'm particularly looking forward to reading the Jack Kirby 2001 issues I picked up (just need #s 8 and 9!), Astronauts In Trouble, and Postcards (which I was lucky enough to have signed by several contributors).

So thanks again, everybody, for a great weekend! I am a happy, weary blogger tonight.

1 comment:

Bully said...

Thanks, Tom, I loved meeting you too! (And hey look, the orange sneaker of Miss Jenn in the background, for all of those whop doubted she exists!)