Thursday, July 05, 2007

"Eight" rhymes with "late"

Rich tagged me with the Eight Rules meme last Friday. Yes, it's taken me this long to think of eight things.

Here are the rules:

- Each player starts with eight random facts about themselves.

- Those who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight facts and post these rules.

- At the end of the post, choose some people to get tagged and list their names.


Ready?

1. I really enjoy "The Thomas Jefferson Hour." I had never heard it before we moved to Williamsburg, and of course it makes sense that a radio show about Jefferson would be found on a Virginia public radio station. However, it's based in ... North Dakota?!?

Each week is split between talking to "Jefferson" and the man who plays him, Clay Jenkinson. I wish I could remember David the co-host's last name, because he's great too, but the show's website is down at the moment. It comes on at 1:00 p.m. every Tuesday, so I try to catch it in the car if I'm out at lunch. There's also a podcast, but ...

2. I don't belong to iTunes. I don't have an iPod. Instead, I still burn MP3s onto CDs. When did that go out of style -- 2003?

3. I would totally buy plush toys of 'Mazing Man and/or Genius Jones (the latter as designed by Cliff Chiang, of course). Now that DC Direct will have a little more time on its hands, maybe someone can make that happen, hmmm?

4. For various reasons, I've managed to miss at least one episode of every live-action Star Trek series: "The Lights Of Zetar" (TOS), "Manhunt" (TNG), "Destiny" (DS9), several Voyager episodes from when the local independent station dropped its UPN programming, and that one Enterprise where the Xindi go to Detroit. (I think it was Detroit.) I did watch all the Animated Series episodes, though.

5. One time I broke up -- or at least postponed -- a domestic dispute. I used to live across the street from the excellent Magee's Bakery (Lexington, KY -- tell 'em Tom sent you!) and would head over Saturday mornings for donuts. (And a bran muffin for balance.) Mmmm ... donuts.

Anyway, I was waiting to cross the street when a car stopped at my red light. A woman got out of the car, yelling at the driver. He then followed her to my corner. She was yelling "leave me alone, leave me alone," and he was yelling at her to get back in the car with him. They were on either side of me, so I gave him a look and said, "Why don't you just leave her alone?" He didn't know what to make of that, so I gave him another I-mean-it look and he went back to his car.

In hindsight, the fact that he left his car running, stopped at what had become a green light, on the aptly-named Main Street, probably had something to do with his decision.

6. Speaking of donuts, Magee's are the most decadent I've ever had, and therefore much more satisfying than Dunkin Donuts, Krispy Kreme, and (yes, Lexingtonians) Spalding's. The secret is the butter-creme icing.

7. My unique superstition: I think my Fantastic Four buying and reading habits somehow affect the fortunes of the University of Kentucky men's basketball team. I base this largely on buying big stacks of Byrne FFs just before 1994-95 losses to UCLA and Louisville. This means I have to finish going through that "40 Years" DVD before November.

8. I am distantly related to two U.S. Presidents (the Harrisons) and I think also to the Clooneys (George, Nick, Rosemary, etc.).

And there you have it -- can't get more random than those!

I'm copping out of tagging eight more people, because most of the blogs I visit have already done this. If you want to join in, have fun!

No comments: