Saturday, June 04, 2005

Six Months Later...

Now that Dan DiDio has confirmed "One Year Later...," I thought I'd remind everyone of this post, which contained my thoughts on a one-year-later Batman storyline.

DiDio also doesn't want to look back too much at the JSA's heyday:

... the DCU is a generational story, and while time does progress, if you try to tell stories set in the past, it pushes the three major heroes up in the timeline, putting more time in between the first superheroes of the DCU and the modern day trinity of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. Telling stories that do that, Didio said, is something he's very cautious about.

As it happens, this week I'd also been talking about superhero generations over at The Great Curve, so I'm eager to see how the older folks are handled. DiDio's comments seem to confirm that DC won't let Supes, Batman, or Wonder Woman age -- although two out of the three are functionally immortal and the third could renew himself with Lazarus Pits as in Byrne's Generations. Therefore, DC may be feeling the crunch of too many characters spread over too wide a range of time, and I wonder how those characters will be "de-emphasized."

2 comments:

Mark "Puff" Anderson said...

Deemphasizing the original JSAers may just kill the JSA book.

I love the original Flash, Green Lantern, Wildcat, et al. Love those characters.

I'd rather see them ghettoized back onto a parallel Earth than to have them killed off.

But do I think my single voice carries any weight...

Nope, I'm a realist. If something happens that I don't like, I'll just ignore it and move on with my life.

puff

Tom Bondurant said...

I like the JSAers fine, and I think DiDio is being a bit shortsighted by not doing more with their wartime exploits. Let's face it -- there is no way DC will unhitch the JSA from the 1938-51 time period.

Those characters are at a further disadvantage because by this point, they've been "old" about four times longer than they were "young." Why not show them young more often, since the perfect platform now exists in JSA Classified?

Honestly, I'd rather DC "de-emphasize" the younger characters, but I don't think that'll happen either.