Tuesday, November 23, 2004

From me to you, some Thanksgiving corn

It's been raining and cold here for the past two days, which hasn't helped my mood. There are still about 6 weeks to go in 2004, but I feel pretty confident in saying that this year will end up being pretty disappointing. I include in this sentiment ordinary frustrations with the state of the world; but closer to home, I made a job change that hasn't worked out either financially or in the area of professional satisfaction. Thus, once again I am questioning what it is I really want to do with my life. Naturally, I have to face these issues at Thanksgiving.

I am thankful for many things -- a loving wife and family, a decent career, and a (mostly) trouble-free life that must be guided by divine providence -- and while this weblog is certainly an indulgence, it's been a real treat getting to know all the denizens of the blogosphere. This year I'm definitely thankful for you readers and the courtesy you've shown me these past few months. In the same vein, I'm thankful to the TrekBBSers who have endured my ramblings for nigh-onto the past 3 years, and who helped shape the writing style presently on display. (Sorry I haven't been around there as much, folks.) Fandom is a strange and wonderful organism, and discovering its mysteries has been great fun.

As it happens, for the last couple of weeks my Bible group has been reading Ecclesiastes -- a book which encourages us to relish what we have and remember that it all comes from the same source:
Go, eat your bread with joy, and drink your wine with a merry heart; for God has already accepted your works. Let your garments always be white, and let your head lack no oil. Live joyfully with the wife whom you love all the days of your vain life which He has given you under the sun, all your days of vanity; for that is your portion in life, and in the labor which you perform under the sun. Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work or device or knowledge or wisdom in the grave where you are going (Ecc 9:7-10).
Yes, it's kind of a backhanded book, but it does provide some existential comfort:
As you do not know what is the way of the wind, or how the bones grow in the womb of her who is with child, so you do not know the works of God who makes everything. In the morning sow your seed, and in the evening do not withhold your hand; for you do not know which will prosper, either this or that, or whether both alike will be good (Ecc 11:5-6).
This summer I took some time away from the office, stepped back a little from the practice of law, and started taking a semi-serious look at whether another kind of work should occupy the rest of my life. (Call it a 1/3-life crisis, I guess.) This blog was a part of that look -- sow that seed liberally, remember -- and while it hasn't made me any money, your support has made it rewarding. The seed found good soil, you might say.

Thanks again to all of you for helping this little corner of the Internet grow, and for giving me the confidence to keep tending it. I'm looking forward to it providing many years of comfort, in all kinds of weather. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: